Last month my friend and I decided to try something out. We’d both been a little down-in-the-dumps over different things so after an evening of wine and venting, I texted her an idea. I asked her if she wanted to practice being more grateful with me; each day we would think of something we were grateful for and text it to each other. It could be anything: “silly”, minor things (like frozen yogurt) to serious, big things. Texting it to each other would hold us more accountable for doing this daily. It became a “gratitude challenge.”
Here are some of the things I learned:
- It was important to have a partner to do this with. There were some days where I just got so busy I forgot to text; but what is so important that you can’t spend 30 seconds of your day being grateful? It made me re-evaluate.
- I saw even my little, daily things become important in my life.
- I learned more about my friend and what is important to her as well.
- After several days or weeks of doing this, it actually can become hard to think of something new that you’re grateful for! (That sounds awful to say.) Aren’t there blessings everywhere? There are, I just need to work better to see them more clearly.
What things was I most grateful for in December 2014?
- Having good eye-sight
- Being able to travel for work
- My job
- My fiance
- The U.S.A
- My condo
- My car
- Technology & ability to communicate around the world
- Warm showers
- Christmas music 🙂
- The food in my belly
- My nieces & nephews
- Peanut butter
- Diet Coke (my bad habit)
- Shelter & protection
- Sunny, San Diego
- My bed
I challenge anyone to think about one thing they are grateful for every day. We’re already one day behind in January, but you can start now! Either chose a friend to do it with, or write it down in a small notepad to keep yourself accountable. Do this gratitude challenge! Who’s in???